Intermediate Underwriter, Commercial Lines
Optimum West Insurance Company Inc. / Vancouver / Edmonton / Permanent / Full timeApply for this position
The Intermediate Underwriter works within established authority and service levels handling commercial property and casualty policies in order to contribute to a profitable portfolio of business.
- Responsible for quoting, negotiating and authorizing the acceptance of new business, renewals and endorsements;
- Works with an assigned group of brokers in accordance with the regional commercial business plan for profitability, growth, retention and service standards;
- Makes risk selection decisions within an assigned level of authority while following the company’s underwriting guidelines;
- Visits brokers who represent Optimum West Insurance Company in order to promote and present the Company’s commercial products, promote profitable growth and retention;
- Provides technical training coaching and development support where appropriate;
- All other related tasks.
Education and Work Experience
- Post-secondary degree;
- Five years of progressive mid-market commercial underwriting experience;
- CIP designation (or enrolment).
Qualities and Aptitudes
- Ability to select, underwrite and manage commercial accounts;
- Good working knowledge of Commercial Lines underwriting techniques, guidelines, forms, coverages, and rates;
- Knowledge of broker/insurance company relationships and the ability to apply this knowledge to the underwriting of an account;
- Comprehensive ability to understand, respond to, and effectively manage broker/customer concerns;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational, planning and decision making skills;
- Good team player.
Optimum West Insurance Company Inc.
As a stable, preferred property & casualty insurance company in Canada that is fully committed to independent brokers, we provide specialized and innovative solutions to our valued broker partners and policyholders. Our adaptive products are exclusively available through an extensive distribution network of selected independent brokers across Canada.
Committed to and driven by long-term relationships, we provide personalized service and customized products to meet the emerging needs of individuals and businesses. Commercial property and liability, personal property and automobile insurance are at the core of our business lines. Our client-oriented and knowledgeable experts underwrite a variety of risks, including niche and non-commodity segments.
Since 1976, our team provides insurance to Canadians from our offices located in Québec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia. Optimum General Inc. is a Canadian company operating through its three subsidiaries: Optimum Insurance Company Inc., Optimum West Insurance Company Inc. and Optimum Farm Insurance Inc.
3777 Kingsway St., Suite 1700
Burnaby (British Columbia) V5H 3Z7
Tel.:+1 604 688-1541