The Sr. Underwriter Advisor is primarily responsible for the evaluation of medical, non-medical, and financial risks of complex cases in life and Critical Illness reinsurance in accordance with company guidelines. Additionally, they will manage special projects as assigned, and provide prescribed training/coaching to their peers.
- Analyze medical, non-medical and financial information on more complex and larger risk life and critical illness cases to determine risk level based on company Underwriting Manual and guidelines while meeting departmental time service standards.
- Work closely with Director, AVP and Medical Director for ongoing training and exposure to advanced cases.
- Second Signature; assist in providing co-signature on referral cases.
- Participate on special projects and other duties as requested by Management.
- Identify and clarify discrepancies with clients; determine and apply appropriate solutions for complex cessions.
- Provide underwriting assessment on claims, E & O, opinions etc.
- Assist in internal and external audits as needed.
- Provide special focus on “large company market” cases while developing and managing client relationships to ensure client’s needs are met.
- Serve as client liaison and maintain or improve relationships; to include communicating underwriting decisions, advise, concerns etc.
- Represent the company at industry meetings; participate as a subject matter expert, leader or team member in special projects, committees, meetings and client presentations as required. 3
- Maintain a current knowledge of Client Company personnel and business practices.
- Keep up to date knowledge on underwriting industry practices (legislative, MIB, HIPAA…etc.)
Education and Work Experience:
- BS / BA degree or equivalent underwriting experience
- 10+ years experience in life underwriting
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with discretion and diplomacy.
- Analytical mind and sound judgment.
- Ability to make sound business decisions.
- Advanced oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received.
- Advanced ability to translate business needs and problems to viable solutions.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new methods, work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions.
- Critical Illness Underwriting
- Bilingual/Multi-lingual (French or Spanish) is a plus.
- FMLI, AALU or FALU designation
Optimum Re Insurance Company
We aim to build successful partnerships and are committed to supporting the development of life insurance companies of all sizes in the United States. We offer our clients competitively priced reinsurance solutions, additional capacity when needed most, expert underwriting services, insightful research and development, state-of-the-art individual cession administration and skilled claims adjudication know-how. We are a leader in critical illness insurance and other niche markets, thanks to our extensive and recognized knowledge in risk management and claims assessment.
Our customized solutions tailored to the needs of our clients have allowed us to grow in a rapid yet controlled manner. We continue to expand our market presence organically and through select acquisitions.
Since 1987, we serve our clients throughout the United States from our office in Dallas, Texas. Our financial strength rating is “A” (Excellent) with a stable outlook.
1345 River Bend Drive, Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75247
Tel.:+1 214 528-2020